The City of Casey’s Community Leadership Program is a free program for new, emerging and existing community leaders aged 18 years or over, who want to enhance their leadership skills, create new personal and professional networks and learn more about local government.
To be delivered from May to September 2021, the program will be conducted over ten sessions at various locations within the City of Casey. This includes three Saturday sessions conducted from 10.00 am – 4.00 pm and seven sessions held on Tuesday evenings 6.00 pm – 9.00 pm.
Most sessions will be face to face, however some may be on-line, these will be subjected to COVID-19 restrictions.
What you will learn:
- Leadership: leadership styles and theory, personal and community leadership
- Communication: communication skills, presenting, public speaking
- Community capacity: local resources, networking, working with volunteers
- Understanding Government: responsibilities of local government, democracy, working effectively with Council
- Leading Change: Good Governance, decision making, project planning and goal setting
At the conclusion of the program, graduates will have the opportunity to participate in ongoing networking opportunities where they can gain practical experience in leading community and Council projects.
Who is eligible:
The Community Leadership Program aims to represent Casey’s diversity and is inclusive of all genders, age groups, abilities, Aboriginality, cultures, linguistic backgrounds, sexual orientation, education and employment status. The recruitment of participants will aim to reflect diversity in Casey.
Support will be available for all participants who need it. For example, childcare, digital access, translators and disability access.
If you are a Casey resident aged 18 or over who:
- Can commit to attending all the workshops
- Have an interest in developing your own and other people’s leadership in the community
- Are motivated to participate and engage in community life
- Have a desire to use your skills to make a difference and enhance the Casey community
How to apply
There are 25 places available in the program and participants will be selected through an Expression of Interest process which will include informal interviews.
As well as the eligibility criteria listed above the selection panel will also consider:
- Geographical representation from across the City of Casey
- A range of cultural backgrounds, abilities, gender, and ages
- Diversity of personal and life experiences
Full program details will be provided on acceptance of a program place.