What is a planning scheme amendment?

    A planning scheme amendment changes the planning law that defines and controls the type of development that can occur on land. Each amendment is given a number to identify it. C198 is the number of this amendment.

    What are the changes?

    Amendment C198 proposes three main changes to the Casey Planning Scheme:

    1. Allow and encourage higher density residential development close to activity centres

    The amendment proposes to change planning controls on land close to activity centres (i.e. shopping complexes) to allow for higher density housing. 

    2. Recommend where 2,000m2 (half acre) lots can be created in the Low Density Residential Zone

    In certain areas of Low Density Residential Zone land, an application to subdivide and create 2,000m2 (half acre) lots will be allowed, other areas will keep the existing control that only allows a minimum 4,000m2 (one acre) lot to be created.

    3. Protect the character of the "Hoddle grid" to the north-east of Berwick Village

    The area to the north-east of Berwick Village (generally bounded by the Princes Highway, Brisbane Street & Cardinia Street) has a recognised neighbourhood character that Council is seeking to preserve through application of the Neighbourhood Residential Zone. 

    Does the amendment require me to do anything?

    If your land is affected by the amendment you are not required to do anything. These controls only become relevant when a land owner wishes to develop the land. If you wish to continue living in your current home, the proposed changes do not require you to carry out any works to comply with those changes.

    Why is this happening?

    This amendment seeks to change the planning scheme in response to recommendations from the Casey Housing Strategy.  The Housing Strategy was adopted by Council in 2015 after public consultation and provides recommendations regarding the future of Casey’s established residential suburbs.

    What is an activity centre?

    An activity centre provides retail and other services and range in size from:

    • Large - such as Fountain Gate and Cranbourne
    • Medium - such as Endeavour Hills and Hampton Park
    • Small - such as Spring Square, Hallam and Eden Rise, Berwick

    All of the centres have various levels of retail, commercial, entertainment, transport and community services.

    What if a developer wants to build an apartment next my house?

    If units or apartments are proposed for a property next to yours, you will be notified by mail.  Although the City of Casey wants to encourage higher density  residential development in certain areas, all proposals still need to comply with all current planning controls relating to overlooking and overshadowing.

    In addition the relevant zone controls require that applicants explain how the site layout, building location and design have been configured to preserve the amenity of existing secluded private open space on surrounding properties.

    Will changes to my zone affect my rates?

    Rates are calculated off the Capital Improved Value (CIV) stated on your rates notice.  If sales evidence in the area suggests that the level of value for the rezoned properties has increased, the Capital Improved Value of your property may also increase, thus you may see a difference in your rates charge.  As Capital Improved Values are calculated on the highest and best use for each property, a consistent level of value would be applied to all rezoned properties, regardless of if they are to be further developed or remain as single dwellings sites.

    How do I find out more information?

    You can also view the amendment documentation on the Department of Environment, Land Water and Planning website at www.delwp.vic.gov.au/public-inspection or in person at one of Council’s Customer Service Centres.  The website at the Department of Environment, Land Water and Planning website will not be available until Thursday 09 November.

    Can I have my say on the amendment?

    You can make a submission on the amendment until Friday 15 December 2017.

    Submissions can be emailed to cityplanning@casey.vic.gov.au or by post with subject Amendment C198 - Submission):

    Team Leader – City Strategy

    City of Casey

    PO Box 1000


    What happens to my submission?

    All submissions will be presented to Council for consideration.  If Council resolves to not change the amendment in response to objecting submissions, then a Planning Panel will be called.  A Planning Panel is appointed externally by Planning Panels Victoria.  All submissions and the relevant aspects of the amendment are considered by the Panel and a set of recommendations are produced. Council then adopt a version of the amendment in response to those recommendations and forward the amendment to the Minister for Planning for approval.  It is estimated that whole process will take one year to complete.

    Can I talk to someone about the amendment?

    Should you have any queries about this amendment, or would prefer a reply-paid envelope and printed submission form, please contact Council’s Planning Department on (03) 9705 5200. Please quote ‘Housing Amendment C198’.

    There will also be five public information forums where you can drop in and ask any questions you may have about how the amendment affects your land.




    Old Cheese Factory Berwick

    34 Homestead Road, Berwick

    Monday 20 November

    4.00 pm - 8.00 pm

    Narre Warren North Hall

    1-1 A’Beckett Road, Narre Warren North

    Wednesday 22 November

    4.00 pm - 8.00 pm

    Balla Balla Community Centre

    65 Berwick-Cranbourne Road, Cranbourne East

    Tuesday 28 November

    4.00 pm - 8.00 pm

    Lynbrook Community Centre

    Corner Lynbrook Blvd & Harris Street, Lynbrook

    Monday 4 December

    4.00 pm - 8.00 pm

    Bunjil Place

    2 Patrick Northeast Drive, Narre Warren

    To be announced – please check Casey Conversations